CubeSat Constellation for Climate Change
Lower cost of remote sensing data for the SLR
Shorter revisit time
Real-time daily global measurements at higher resolutions
As humans continue to pour greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, oceans have tempered the effect. The added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms induce dramatically the Sea Level Rise (SLR).
CC4CC will design and develop a Small Flying Object (SFO) CubeSat Constellation in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) to obtain daily measurements of global and regional changes in Sea Level Rise. CC4CC will determine the orbital parameters and characteristics of the CubeSat constellation to ensure optimal coverage and revisit time.
The project will focus on the development and integration of a novel Ka-band communication system, which will provide the near-real time transmission of sea level rise data at higher resolutions than existing solutions and will bring CubeSats into common and affordable use for Sea Level Rise.
The main project objective is to assess the feasibility of developing a constellation of multiple CubeSats and receive daily measurements of the Sea level in smaller coastal areas, primarily in vulnerable regions. It will be achieved by pursuing the following sub-objectives:
- Define the mission requirements to satisfy the scientific goals
- Identify the mission architectures in terms of ground segment, space segment and launch segment
- Define the optimal constellation to satisfy the mission requirements in terms of coverage, visibility, and revisit time
- Identify the optimal satellite platform to perform the mission, considering commercial off-the-shelf solutions
- Implement the actual CubeSat data rate capability through the validation of a Ka transmitter, which will be integrated on the platform
- Validate the overall system (satellite + transmitter) qualifying it for commercial launch with the traditional environmental and functional tests
- Engage with stakeholders and develop a plan for commercialisation and exploitation
EnduroSat will develop the novel innovative Ka-band communication system which will enable the near-real time transmission of sea level rise data.